Capability of the immunofluorescence method for the laboratory diagnostics of infectious diseases
Keywords:luminescent microscopy, directand indirect immunofluorescent test, immunofluorescence diagnostic of infectious diseases
The main trends in the use of fluorescent antibodies method as a method of laboratory diagnostics of infectious diseases of humans, animals and plants as well as a research tool associated with the fluorescence phenom-enon are described in the article. The capability of immunofluorescence test in three variations both in diagnostic work and in screening researches is described. The principles and essence, main drawbacks and advantages of each of fluorescent antibodies method in certain scientific and diagnostic works are covered in detail.
The main reasons that negatively influenced the use of immunofluorescence reactions for the diagnosis of infec-tious diseases in both human and veterinary medicine are analysed.They (reasons) could be divided into 1) objective that were initially connected with insufficient supply of fluorescent microscopes and immunofluorescent kits, 2)subjective reasons whicharose later and consisted in the reluctance of specialists of diagnostic/scientific institutions to promote and implement the fluorescent antibodiesmethod at their levels as a highly specific and intensively accurate method of labor-atory diagnosis.
The preference was given instead to usage of chromogenic or selective nutrient media, i.e. the cultural method of isolation and identification of pathogens.This led to the collapse of already established high-tech production of commercial immunofluorescent diagnostic kits in numerous biofactories of the Soviet Union, including in Ukraine.In a consequence an unreasonably decreased level of usage of immunofluorescence test both in routine diagnostic work and in scientific researches was noticed.
The article provides evidences for the diagnostic effectiveness of the fluorescent antibodies method in the diag-nosis of numerous diseases, for which this method was developed and used initially or became the etalon test in case of rabies diagnostics.Some research directions based on the use of fluorescent antibodiesmethod in particular for the effec-tive indication and identification of toxigenic, pathogenic and virulent species of microorganisms in various objects (or-ganism, abiotic environment, cultures) are highlighted.It is shown that at the current stage of microscopy and micropho-tography development the results of the fluorescent antibodies method can be easily documented.
Our further researches will concern the development of validation and verification procedures of the fluorescent antibodies method.
2. Chozinski,T.J.; Halpern,A. R.; Okawa,H.; Kim,H.-J.; Tremel,G. J.; Wong,R. O.;Vaughan,J. C. Expansion microscopy with conventional antibodies and fluorescent proteins. Nature Methods 2016. 13, 485–488.
3. Coons, A.H.; Kaplan, M.Localisation of antigen in tissue cells. Improvements in a method for the detection of antigen by means of fluorescent antibody.J. Experiment. Medicine1950. 91(1),1‒12.
4. Coons, A.H.;Greech, H.; Jones, R.; Berlinger, E. The demonstration of pneumococcal antigen in tissue by the use of fluorescent antibody.TheJournal of Immunology1942. 45, 159–170.
5. Kohli, R.;Mittal, K. L. Development sinsurface contamination and cleaning detection, characterization, andanalysisofcontaminants. 2012, 179‒213.
6. DiLaura D. A Brief History of In the beginning, Optics and Photonics News. 2008. 19 (9), 22-28.
7. Goldwasser, R.A.; Shepard, C.C. Staining of complement and modifications of fluorescent antibody procedures. Jour. Immunol.1958. 122–131.
8. Herman, B. (2020). FluorescenceMicroscopy, 2nd ed. GarlandScience:London, 2020;188p.
9. Keller, C. Vereinfachternachweis von tubercelbacillenimfluoreszenzlicht.Münch. Med. Wschr., 1938, 52.
10. Obodovskiy, I. Radiation:fundamentals, applications, risks, andsafety.Elsevie,2019, 207-220.
11. Weller, T.H.; Coons, A.H. Fluorescent antibody studies with agents of varicella and herpes zoster propagated in vitro. ¬Proc.Soc.Exp.Biol.,Med.,1954, 86, 789.
12. Zaccone, R.; Crisafi, E.; Caruso, G. Evaluation of fecal pollution in coastal Italian waters by immunofluorescence. Aquatic MicrobialEcology 1995, 9, 79‒85.
13. Boyko, O. P; Busol, V. O .; Mandigra, M. S.; Boyko, P. K, Kucheryavenko, R. O. [Production of diagnostiсum for immunofluorescent indication and identification Pseudomonasa eruginosa]. NUBiPofUkraine: Kiev, 2010; 20 s. (in Ukrainian)
14. Boyko, P. K.; Busol, V. O.; Mandigra, M. S.; Kovalenko, L. V.; Boyko, O. P. [Application of immunofluorescent method in laboratory diagnosis of emphysematous carbuncle of cattle]. NUBiPofUkraine: Kiev, 2010; 16. (in Ukrainian)
15. Boyko, O. P.Epizootolohiya ta diahnostyka psevdomonoznoyi infektsiyi tvaryn i ptytsi [Epizootology and diagnosis of pseudomonas infection of animals and birds]: dysertatsiya … kand. vet. nauk,spets. 16.00.03. Odessa: ODAU, 2011; 117. (in Ukrainian)
16. Boyko, P. K. Immunofluorestsentnaya indikatsiya i identifikatsiya vozbuditelya emfizematoznogo karbunkula [Immunofluoresce intindication and identification of the causative agentofemphysematous carbuncle]:avtoref. dys. … kand. vet. nauk, М.: МVА, 1982; 23 s.(in Russian)
17. Busygin, K. F.Lyuminestsentnaya díagnostika ifektsionnykh bolezney zhivotnykh [Luminescent diagnosis of infectious animal diseases].Kolos, 1975, 10–11.(in Russian)
18. Busol, V. O.; Mandigra, M. S.; Boyko, P.K.; Boyko, O. P.; Kucheryavenko, R.O. Imunofluorestsentnyy metod v ekspres-diahnostytsi infektsiynykh zakhvoryuvanʹ tvaryn [Immunofluorescent method in rapid diagnosis of infectious diseases of animals]. VMU,2012, 9, 26–30. (in Ukrainian)
19. Busol, V. O.; Mandigra, M. S.; Boyko, P. K. Zastosuvannya imunofluorestsentnoho metodu v laboratorniy diahnostytsi psevdomonoznoyi infektsiyi tvaryn [Application of immunofluorescent method in laboratory diagnosis of pseudomonas infection of animals]. NUBiPofUkraine: Kiev, 2009, 16 s. (in Ukrainian)
20. Levina, E. N. Immunoluminescence in medicine. Meditsina, 1977; 239 s. (in Russian)
21. Lyuminestsiruyushchiye antitela (v izuchenii nekotorykh mikroorganizmov) [Luminescent antibodies (in the study of some microorganisms)]: pod red. Meyselya M. N. Moscow,1972; 141 s.(in Russian)
22. Mandigra, M. S.; Boyko, P. K.; Boyko, O. P;Kucheryavenko, R. O.Laboratorna diahnostyka psevdomonoznoyi infektsiyi z dopomohoyu metodu fluorestsiyuyuchykh antytil [Laboratory diagnosis of pseudomonas infection using the method of fluorescent antibodies]. Veterynarna medytsyna 2011, 95, 115–119.(in Ukrainian)
23. Mikhailov, I. F. Flyuorestsiruyushchiye antitela i metody ikh primeneniya [Fluorescent antibodies and methods of their use].Meditsina,, 1968, 188. (in Russian)
24. Pundyak, T. O.Retrospektyvnyy serolohichnyy skryninh salʹmonelʹozu velykoyi rohatoyi khudoby u zakhidnykh oblastyakh Ukrayiny [Retrospective serological screening for salmonellosis in cattle in the western regions of Ukraine]: avtoref. dys. … kand. vet. nauk,spets. 16.00.03. Kiev, 2015, 19. (in Ukrainian)