Problems of the Northern Pike Esox lucius Cultivation in the Laboratory Conditions
Keywords:Esox lucius, Saprolegnia, eggs, larvae, ontogeny, environmental factors
In the article, main concerns arising both at the time of incubation and while cultivating fish in laboratory conditions were identified. The main morphological features of fishes at different stages of ontogenesis used to determine the developmental stage of the northern pike Esox lucius were described. The cultivation of fishes in the laboratory conditions is necessary for ecological researches, for the study of morphogenesis of organ systems, and other studies where fishes should be continuously monitored at different development stages. In the laboratory, during the incubation of the eggs, problems can mainly emerge from the impossibility to ensure the constantly running water for the incubation boxes with eggs. During the cultivation of northern pike Esox lucius, because of the high density of eggs, the timely and prompt fight against the water fungs of the genus Saprolegnia is very important. It is necessary to take away the eggs affected by fungs. It is important to regularly replace the water in the incubation boxes with pikes. The new water should not differ a lot in its chemical composition. The particularity of the northern pike Esox lucius is the spawning at low temperatures, that is why it is very important to keep in check the water temperature where eggs and larvae are being developed. The pace of development of the northern pike Esox lucius in laboratory conditions is accelerated if compared to the natural ones. Incorrect conditions of eggs fertilization and incubation as well as feeding larvae with food inappropriate in size can cause the mass mortality of fishes at some critical stages of their development or the developmental impairment. During the research, such morphological impairments of embryos of the northern pike Esox lucius is the anlage of two heads and, on the contrary, the head not being fully developed up to the moment of hatching were detected.
2. Koblickaja, A. Opredelitel' molodi presnovodnyh ryb [Determinant of juvenile freshwater fish]. Legkaja i pishhevaja promyshlenost' : Moskva, 1981; 208 s. (In russian)
3. Shamardina, I. P. Jetapy razvitija shhuki [Developmental stages of pike]. Trudy instituta morfologii zhivotnyh im. A. N. Severcova; 1957, 16, s 237–298. (In russian)
4. Makeeva, A.; Pavlov, D.; Pavlov, D. Atlas molodi presnovodnyh ryb Rossii [Atlas of freshwater fish fry of Russia]. Tovarishhestvo nauchnyh izdanij KMK : Moskva, 2011, 383 s. (In russian)
5. Kotljarevskaja, N. V. Process vyluplenija u shhuki Esox lucius L. [Hatching process of pike Esox lucius L.]. Voprosy Ihtiologii; 1969, 9 (1), s 116–128. (In russian)
6. Dorier, A. A Propos de l’oeuf et de l’alevin de Brochet. Bull. Fr. Piscic. 1938, 110, pp 61–73.
7. Nejfah, A. A.; Timofeeva, M. Ja.; Georgiev, G. P. Molekuljarnaja biologija processov razvitija [Molecular biology of developmental processes]. Nauka: Moskva, 1977, 311 s. (In russian)
8. Kemp, A. Rearing of embryos and larvae of the Australian lungfish, Neoceratodus forsteri, under laboratory conditions. Copeia 1981, (4), pp 776.
9. Sule, O. D.; Adikwu, I. Embryonic development in Clarias gariepinus (Buchell, 1822) under laboratory conditions. Anim. Res. Int. 2017, 1 (2), pp 81‒85.
10. Vladovskaja, S.; Gamajun, E. Ispol'zovanie shhuki v uslovijah intensivnogo rybovodstva [The use of pike in conditions of intensive fish farming]. Central'nyj nauchno-issledovatel'skij institut informacii i tehniko-jekonomicheskih issledovanij rybnogo hozjajstva Ministerstva rybnogo hozjajstva SSSR: Moskva, 1980, 31 s. (In russian)
11. Devicina, G. V. Razvitie organov himicheskoj recepcii v ontogeneze obyknovennoj shhuki Esox lucius [Development of organs of chemical reception in ontogenesis northern pike Esox lucius]. Voprosy Ihtiologii; 1998, 38 (4), s 537–547. (In russian)
12. Tytiuk, O.; Stepanyuk, Y.; Yaryhin, O. The influence of fixatives on the validity of histological preparations of olfactory organ in Teleostei. Vestn. Zool. 2018, 52 (6), pp 521–528.
13. Makeeva, A. P. Jembriologija pyb [Embryology of fish]. Izd-vo MGU: Moskva, 1992, 216 s. (In russian)
14. Kamler, E. Ontogeny of нolk-аeeding аish: An уcological зerspective. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 2002, 12 (1), pp 79–103.
15. Reproductive Biology and Phylogeny of Fishes (Agnathans and Bony Fishes); Jamieson, B. G. M., Ed.; Science Publishers: Enfield, 2009, 538 р.
16. Güralp, H.; Pocherniaieva, K.; Blecha, M.; Policar, T.; Pšenička, M.; Saito, T. Development, and effect of water temperature on development rate, of pikeperch Sander lucioperca embryos. Theriogenology, 2017, 104, pp 94–104.