Blood Values and Cardiovascular System Activity Indices Characteristic of the Workers of Unhealthy Occupations
Keywords:unhealthy occupations, cardiovascular system, electrocardiogram (ECG), laboratory analysis
Comparison and evaluation of general blood parameters and electrocardiogram is important for determining health condition of the persons under investigation, including workers of unhealthy occupations. Therefore, the question arises as to how harmful working conditions affect the state of cardiovascular system. The purpose of the article is to study general blood parameters and heart electrocardiograms of the employees working in unhealthy conditions. The investigation involved 43 workers belonging to 8 different professions (rescue driver – 17 %, electric welder – 10 %, electrician – 12 %, crane operator – 15 %, laboratory assistant – 15 %, fuel station operator – 12 %, boiler operator – 7 %, locksmith – 12 %), who were examined during medical check-up. ECG record was performed using ECG 300G electrocardiograph in the department of functional diagnostics, the calculation of general blood parameters was done according to the general methods in the clinical diagnostic laboratory. All investigations were carried out on the basis of Ternopil city communal hospital № 2. Such parameters of the general blood analysis as – hemoglobin, red blood cells, color index, reticulocytes, platelets, leukocytes, ESR, myelocytes, metamyelocytes, rod nuclear cells, segmentated cells, eosinophils, basophils, lymphocytes, monocytes, plasma cells – have been analyzed. The analysis of ECG characteristics, and namely – EOS deviation angle, heart rate, RR interval variations and RR, PQ, QT, P wave, QRS complex and systolic rate – has also been done. The comparison of the mean values of the total blood count revealed differences between representatives of different occupations, the greatest number of statistically significant differences was observed when comparing hemoglobin and red blood cells parameters. Differences were traced between the number of segmental cells and monocytes, the values of lymphocytes were within the normal limits, except for rescue drivers whose lymphocytes value indicators went beyond the norm. Comparison of ECG indicators revealed differences between the magnitude of the EOS angle, which had significant deviations from the standards among electricians, boiler operators and locksmiths. Indicators of the RR interval duration among electricians, laboratory assistants and operators of fuel stations are also over the limit. Minor differences are also evident in the values of the P wave and the QRS complex, and minor deviations from the standards can be observed as well.
2. Hlyniana, L. A.; Rodionova, V. V.; Hashynova, K. Yu. ta inshi Struktura promyslovo zumovlenykh zakhvoriuvan u robitnykiv metalurhiinoho pidpryiemstva, yaki pratsiuiut u shkidlyvykh umovakh pratsi [The structure of industrialized diseases in the workers of the metallurgical enterprise, working in hazardous conditions of work]; «Medychni perspektyvy» 18, s 60–64. (in Ukrainian)
3. Basanets, A. V. Khvoroby systemy krovoobihu pry dii profesiinykh faktoriv [Diseases of the circulatory system under the influence of professional factors]; Ukrainskyi zhurnal z problem medytsyny «Instytut medytsyny pratsi AMN Ukrainy» 2010, 2, s 71–81. (in Ukrainian)
4. WHO Mortality Database. World Health Organization, 2019, https://www.who.int/healthinfo/mortality_data/en/.
5. Sytnyk, O. A. Kharakterystyka stanu sertsevo-sudynnoi systemy uchniv molodshoho shkilnoho viku [Characteristics of the condition of the cardiovascular system of pupils of junior school age]; Pedahohichni nauky: teoriia, istoriia, innovatsiini tekhnolohii 2013, 6(32), s 111–118. (in Ukrainian)
6. Nakaz Ministerstva okhorony zdorovia Ukrainy № 246 vid 21.05.2007 «Pro zatverdzhennia Poriadku provedennia medychnykh ohliadiv pratsivnykiv pevnykh katehorii» [Order of the Ministry of Health of Ukraine No. 246 of May 21, 2007 «On Approval of the Procedure for conducting medical examinations of certain categories of workers»]. (in Ukrainian)
7. Zadorozhnia, M. Sertsevi zakhvoriuvannia ta yikhni vyrobnychi chynnyky [Heart disease and their production factors]; Okhorona pratsi i pozhezhna bezpeka 2013, 4. http://expert.fpsu.org.ua/tekhnichnim-inspektoram/62-certsevi-zakhvoryuvannya-ta-jikhni-virobnichi-chinniki. (in Ukrainian)
8. Bereziuk, V. S.; Lemeshev, M. S. Vplyv vyrobnychoho seredovyshcha na zdorovia ta pratsezdatnist liudyny [Influence of the industrial environment on human health and efficiency]; Bezpeka zhyttiediialnosti. https://web.posibnyky.vntu.edu.ua/fmbt/berezyuk_bezpeka_zhittyediyalnosti/41.htm. (in Ukrainian)
9. Shved, M. I. Osnovy praktychnoi elektrokardiohrafii (navchalnyi posibnyk) [ Basics of practical electrocardiography (training manual)]; Ukrmedknyha: Ternopil, 2000, 128 s. (in Ukrainian)
10. Shevchenko, T. M.; Polushkin, P. M. Elektronnyi posibnyk do vyvchennia kursu «Osnovy zahalnoi klinichnoi laboratornoi diahnostyky» [An electronic manual for studying the course «Fundamentals of general clinical laboratory diagnostics»]; Dnipropetrovskyi natsionalnyi universytet im.Olesia Honchara, 2016, 138 s. http://repository.dnu.dp.ua:1100/upload/17ba1fd9082bc67d1a6d5b0828504ea1Osnovi__zagalnoyi__klinichnoyi__laboratornoyi_.PDF. (in Ukrainian)
11. Bondarenko, Ye. A. Otsinka profesiinoho ryzyku pohirshennia stanu zdorovia personalu, shcho obsluhovuie ustanovy nadvysokoi napruhy [Assessment of the professional risk of deterioration in the health of staff serving the institutions of ultrahigh voltage]; Visnyk Vinnytskoho politekhnichnoho instytutu 2013, 1, s 61–66. (in Ukrainian)
12. Ghiasvand, M.; Aghakhani, K.; Salimi, A.; Kumar, R. Ischemic heart disease risk factors in lead exposed workers: research study. Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology 2013, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/1745-6673-8-11
13. Illiash M. H.; Andrushchenko, T. A.; Basanets, A. V.; Dolinchuk, L. V. Molekuliarno-henetychnyi analiz hipertrofii miokarda v shakhtariv vuhilnykh shakht Ukrainy[Molecular genetic analysis of myocardial hypertrophy in miners of coal mines of Ukraine]; Ukrainskyi kardiolohichnyi zhurnal 2014, 1, s 50–55. (in Ukrainian)